Every year for the past 22 years Scott has attended the Governmental Affairs Conference, otherwise known as the GAC in Credit Union land. Usually it's in February and this year just happened to be in March. It also happened to be the 100th anniversary or celebration for the Cherry Blossoms and they happened to come out early by about 2 weeks. This is only the second time I've ever seen them and it was truly something to behold. If it's not on your bucket list, it should be! We woke up early to get some early morning pictures. I couldn't believe how many people there were that time of the morning! I saw on the news that they give about 68,000 parking tickets during the two weeks the trees are in bloom!
After seeing the blossoms, I went with three other ladies (Ruthanne, Teresa and Patty) on the Metro to Old Town Alexandria to shop and eat. We happened upon a French restaurant and Jean Claude prepared a special salad creation just for us. He was very entertaining.
Usually Scott's in meetings while I'm off exploring. This time, his meeting was someplace I'd never been, the Jefferson Library of Congress. After so many years we'd never been. Why? I don't know. It is probably the most beautiful building in Washington, D.C. Some people told us the most beautiful in all the world, but that's stretching it a little I would think. The craftsmanship was definitely something to behold and my pictures can't even do it justice.
I spent one day with my friend Cindy's mom (Jeanette) and sister (Jelena). We went to lunch at my favorite restaurant, Rosa's Mexicana, and then took the Metro to Arlington. We had a great time!
On Saturday night, the 17th, Scott received the Gene Farley Award from AACUL and his peers for excellence in leadership and...stuff? He was really surprised, honored and humbled by this honor. We were invited to dinner afterwards with the past winners.
| Bill Mellin, Scott, Susan Newton and Bill Cheney |
| Susan Newton, Dick and Judy Ensweiler |
Some of the wives had the opportunity to go to Mt. Vernon. Susan Magill works there (her husband works at CUNA and is one of Scott's idols) and was our tour guide, along with a lady named Sue that's worked there for 35 years. It was my fourth time there and probably the best time ever!
This lady dressed up as Martha. She talked as though she were Martha. She was amazing! She would giggle about "George" and his comings and goings. At the end one gentleman asked about Jefferson. Her whole countenance changed and although she deigned to say nothing bad about the man, she said nothing good either! Hahaha!
No comments:
Post a Comment