On Saturday, Scotty and I drove to Solvang. It's a little Danish town south of where she lives. Since we come from Danish ancestry (our Great Grandfather Andrew Janus Christensen Hansen came over from Denmark), we thought it would be fun to visit! The architecture and shops are all Scandinavian. We spent most of the day just walking around in and out of stores. My favorites were the chocolate shops and bakery shops and when we tried on hats! Still not sure if I can pull off wearing one but we each bought one. I got the one in the picture, but Scotty got a different one than she's sporting in this picture!
Happened upon this monument of Hans Christian Andersen and took our pictures with him. We went to his museum/bookstore. It didn't have much in terms of museum quality stuff. There were a few first edition books though. I ended up buying "The Ugly Duckling" with beautiful illustrations that won the Caldecott award. I've decided to make children's books (for all those grandchildren I'm going to have) my new souvenirs and have found some pretty funny ones about the places I've visited.
No comments:
Post a Comment