Exactly one week after we lost Indi, Todd had the colostomy that has been looming as a possibility for years. I wish I could describe the emotional roller coaster of this experience. To do it, or not to do it.(Graphic explanations ahead: don't read if you have a tender tummy.) In addition to the Crohn's disease, he had developed perianal disease. He's had enough abscesses and surgeries through the years that he has NINE ceton drains. He actually went from 3 to the 9 in just this last year. The last one was the worst. An open wound that was approximately 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches and more than ½ inch deep. How do you even begin to sit or walk? With the Colostomy is the hope that this whole area will heal.
Surgery was on Thursday and things seemed to be going well except for some incompetent CNA's that didn't know how to clean or deal with Ostomy bags! The catheter totally freaked him out! He was deathly afraid it would rip out. On Sunday things started taking a turn for the worse. He was in extreme pain with no explanation, and he started running a fever. Todd said he was ready to die. Talk about scary. By 11:00 p.m. he was back in emergency surgery with his doctor who was supposed to be on vacation. She had to open him up this time to explore if there were any perforations, infections, etc. She found nothing along those lines but the stoma had started to die off so she took about 6 more inches off his colon and made a new stoma. She described his lower part of the colon remaining as OLD WET WOOD. Meaning not healthy. She flushed him out, stapled him back together and started all over with diet. He was losing weight fast. He lost about 21 pounds from going in to when he finally left bottoming around 135 pounds. Way too skinny!
Thank heaven for FAMILY!!! Andy and Neena came to the hospital several times, not an easy thing after everything they had been through the week before with Indi, and coaxed Todd outside one day. Took the meds with us and sat for a while enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Jeff and Jessie came and spent several hours and evenings with Todd. Chad and Stacy came too. All making a difference in his healing process. Scott had to go to Washington, D.C. so I moved into my friend Vicki's house for a week. She lived close to the hospital and it allowed me to be at the hospital from about 10am until 10-11pm without making the long drives to Provo. One day Todd asked if I could come at 9am. Sure. Vicki watched our dog Dave for me while I was at the hospital all day. What a blessing this was.
Thank heaven for visitors! So grateful for their visits!!!
![]() |
| Sick of clear liquids. |
![]() |
| R - E - L - E - A - S - E ….. ME Hooked up to just a few antibiotics. |
![]() |
| The doctors diagram of his colostomy. Looks remotely like a…. |
![]() |
| Sporting a new robe. Making the rounds. |
After 12 days in the hospital he was finally released to go home. He had to stay on the antibiotics for approximately 12 more days. At first home health was going to change his peripheral IV line every other day. That DEFINITELY was NOT going to work with Todd's fear of needles. We had him in for a pic line the next day which helped a lot. One of the antibiotics was every 4 hours. There was a learning curve on how to change the Ostomy wafer and bag, decide which one works best. After several days of walking at home, he decided to try riding his bike for the first time in a year or two. Woohoo!!! Jeff also took his motorcycle in to Grimm to get the back tire changed for him! He'll be ready to ride after his 6 week mark!
After everything that happened in February and March, I was scheduled to go home to Colorado but developed such bad back pain I could sit to go home. I went to the doctor to get a muscle relaxer and waited a couple of days before trying to make the drive. Finally on Thursday, I felt well enough and started the drive. I guess I still had too much muscle relaxer in my system and when I got to Fruita, I actually drifted off the road and woke up when I hit the rumble strips! With all the driving I do, that was the first time that had happened and it scared the crap out of me! Got lots of Diet Coke and between that and the adrenaline, I was good the rest of the way home.







No comments:
Post a Comment