Address


Utah address: 2974 W. 1130 N., Provo, UT 84601
Colorado address: 9622 Montclair Drive, Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Making blankets for Indira


With Baby Indira on her way I wanted to make some things for her. Started out with burp cloths and a receiving blanket. My friends Melody and Heather make them all the time for friends and their grandbabies.  So Neena and I went to the fabric shop so she could choose the fabric. I was happy with way they turned out! Then she found a blanket that someone had made and asked me if I could replicate it. I took the challenge and found someone who was pretty much an expert in knitting and she helped me with the gauge and pattern to recreate it and taught me how the right and wrong side was important in attaining these clean lines. It turned out a little larger than I intended it to be so that was surprising, I wasn't sure about the colors (they looked darker than the picture I was using as a guide), and I was worried it wouldn't be what she had in mind. Everything turned out fine with my fears, and I loved the outcome and know that it will last way past the baby stage!


My mom's sister, Lavona, taught me how to crochet when I was 10 years old. We had made a trip to Washington and we stayed with them. This was the first time I had met her. I made a little baby doll blanket that was about 6x6 inches! Yeah. Small baby doll.  I fell in love with crocheting and have made several afghans/blankets and doilies. Knitting had always alluded me.  I thought it was WAY too hard. When I was 23, and pregnant with Jeff, I decided it was time to learn to knit. His baby blanket was the first thing I had ever knitted. How hard can it be. Just sticks and strings, right? This blanket was my third knitting project! I've worked on 2 others since this and it's getting easier and easier. I still have to watch the YouTube videos to remind me how to cast on and cast off.  I love YouTube for this reason and look forward to harder projects! Oooo, cable stitch….



No comments: